Great Books I Read Recently 10/27/23
Hope you are doing well and enjoying October! I'm sure you all have fun plans coming up for Halloween soon.
I just wanted to share some great books I've read recently in case they help someone on their path. These books are each eye-opening, enlightening and empowering in their own ways and have made a huge impact on me recently. I highly recommend checking them out!
1. Medicinal Herbs- A Beginner's Guide by Rosemary Gladstar Summary: With Rosemary Gladstar’s expert advice, anyone can make their own herbal remedies for common ailments, such as aloe lotion for poison ivy, dandelion-burdock tincture for sluggish digestion, and lavender-lemon balm tea for stress relief. Gladstar profiles 33 of the most common and versatile healing plants and then shows you exactly how to grow, harvest, prepare, and use them. Stock your home medicine chest with safe, all-natural, low-cost herbal preparations, and enjoy better health!
2. Feeding You Lies by Vani Hari
Summary: Just like the tobacco industry lied to us about the dangers of cigarettes, the same untruths, cover-ups, and deceptive practices are occurring in the food industry. This book exposes the lies we've been fed about the food we eat - lies about its nutrient value, effects on our health, label information, and even the very science we base our food choices on. This book is a blueprint for living your life without preservatives, artificial sweeteners, additives, food dyes, or fillers, eating foods that truly nourish you and support your health. It talks about how nutrition research is manipulated by food-company-funded experts, how to spot fake news generated by Big Food, the tricks food companies use to make their food addictive, why labels like "all natural" and "non-GMO" aren't what they seem and how to identify the healthiest food, as well as, food marketing hoaxes that persuade us into buying junk food disguised as health food and more.
3. The Brain Saver Series by Anthony William
Summary: With the advanced state of brain research today, it’s easy to think that we’re arming ourselves with knowledge about how best to care for our precious minds and brains. Are we? Or is the prevalence of brain issues a sign that even with mindfulness, neuroscience, and “brain foods,” we’re still all too vulnerable? Discover the true causes of over 100 brain- and nervous system–related symptoms, diseases, and disorders in Brain Saver. Burnout, deficiencies, panic attacks, vagus nerve problems, mental health struggles, neurological symptoms, struggles with focus, concentration, ALS, Parkinson's, long-haul COVID and more. The Medical Medium Brain Saver reveals: what it means to have a static brain, an alloy brain, a viral brain, an emotional brain, inflamed cranial nerves, an addicted brain, an acid brain, and a burnt out, deficient brain—and what you can do about it to heal. On top of a fresh perspective on how to supply your brain with healing nutrients, you’ll find cleanse protocols, guidelines for detoxing from heavy metal exposure, and recipes for all-new Medical Medium Brain Shot Therapy—quick hits of medicinals in liquid form, in combinations of ingredients designed to bring instant relief when the brain is under particular stress. Brain Saver offers a way forward with specialized techniques to restore stability to your brain and nervous system and harmony to your life.
Summary: Celebrated yoga teacher and activist Seane Corn shares pivotal accounts of her life with raw honesty―enriched with in-depth spiritual teachings―to help us heal, evolve, and change the world. The author's real purpose is to guide us into a deep, gut-level understanding of our highest Self through yoga philosophy and other tools for emotional healing―not just as abstract ideas but as embodied, fully felt wisdom. Why? To spark a "revolution of the soul" in each of us, so we can awaken to our purpose and become true agents of change. Just a few of the stops along the way include: The everyday "angels" Seane finds in the gritty corners of New York's 1980s East Village; her early struggles as a total yoga-class misfit; the profound shadow work and body-based practices that helped her to heal childhood trauma, OCD, unhealthy behaviors, and relationship wounding; hard-earned lessons from some of the most heartbreaking places on the planet; and many other unforgettable teaching stories.
5. The Mama Natural Week-by-Week Guide to Pregnancy & Childbirth by Genevieve Howland
Summary: This book modern (and yet ancient) approach to pregnancy and childbirth. The author recognizes that pregnancy and birth are normal, and that having a baby is a wondrous biological process and rite of passage--not a medical condition. This book draws upon the latest research showing how beneficial and life-changing natural birth is for both babies and moms. Full of weekly advice and tips for a healthy pregnancy, Howland details vital nutrition to take, natural remedies for common and troublesome symptoms, as well as the appropriate (and inappropriate) use of interventions. Peppered throughout are positive birth and pregnancy stories from women of all backgrounds (and all stages of their natural journey) along with advice and insights from a Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM) plus a Registered Nurse (RN), doula, and lactation consultant. Encouraging, well-researched, and fun, The Mama Natural Week-by-Week Guide to Pregnancy & Childbirth will be an essential companion for women everywhere to embrace natural pregnancy and reap all the benefits for both baby and mama.
6. Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin
Summary: Drawing upon her thirty-plus years of experience, Ina May Gaskin, the nation’s leading midwife, shares the benefits and joys of natural childbirth by showing women how to trust in the ancient wisdom of their bodies for a healthy and fulfilling birthing experience. Based on the female-centered Midwifery Model of Care, this book gives expectant mothers comprehensive information on everything from the all-important mind-body connection to how to give birth without technological intervention. Filled with inspiring birth stories and practical advice, this invaluable resource includes: reducing the pain of labor without drugs—and the miraculous roles touch and massage play, what really happens during labor, orgasmic birth—making birth pleasurable, episiotomy—is it really necessary? It also goes over common methods of inducing labor—and which to avoid at all costs, tips for maximizing your chances of an unmedicated labor and birth, how to avoid postpartum bleeding—and depression, the risks of anesthesia and cesareans—what your doctor doesn’t necessarily tell you, the best ways to work with doctors and/or birth care providers, how to create a safe, comfortable environment for birth in any setting, including a hospital, and much more. Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth takes the fear out of childbirth by restoring women’s faith in their own natural power to give birth with more ease, less pain, and less medical intervention.
7. Husband Coached Childbirth by Robert A. Bradley
Summary: The book that started a revolution in the birthing experience and helped millions of women and their partners to a safe and natural childbirth. The Bradley Method has changed the way men and women—and the medical establishment—think about childbirth today. Now this new, updated edition of the groundbreaking work by Robert A. Bradley, M.D., has all the information you need to approach a natural childbirth safely, confidently, and wisely. From the reasons to choose the Bradley Method to the steps you will take as your birth day approaches—and after the birth of your baby—this book is designed to help couples share completely in the birthing experience: building better, deeper, and more trusting communication skills with your partner in preparation for a drug-free childbirth, learning the physical, emotional, and mental relaxation techniques essential to a natural childbirth, discovering how you and your doctor can work together toward your natural delivery, monitoring your weight, nutrition, and your overall well-being during pregnancy. It also talks about using natural prevention methods for the most common pregnancy problems, and getting the most out of the bonding experience you will share with your baby and your partner. The Bradley Method is an essential guide for anyone considering childbirth without unnecessary medications or medical intervention and to share fully in your child’s arrival into the world.
8. Insight Yoga by Sarah Powers Summary: Acclaimed yoga and meditation teacher Sarah Powers is known and loved for her unique approach—Insight Yoga—which combines traditional yoga with the meridians of Chinese medicine, as well as Buddhist meditation. Using Yin (passive) and Yang (dynamic) poses, she demonstrates a series of different yoga sequences that bring benefit to organs, muscles, joints, and tendons—as well as the mind. She also provides a foundational explanation of traditional Chinese medicine theory and mindfulness meditation instruction. Sarah Powers brings us on an inspiring journey inward, and shows the path for cultivating a lasting relationship with yoga that cultivates and strengthens our physical well-being and our mental and emotional clarity.
9. The Journey Home: Autobiography of an American Swami by Radhanath Swami Summary: Within this extraordinary memoir, Radhanath Swami weaves a colorful tapestry of adventure, mysticism, and love. Readers follow Richard Slavin from the suburbs of Chicago to the caves of the Himalayas as he transforms from young seeker to renowned spiritual guide. The Journey Home is an intimate account of the steps to self-awareness and also a penetrating glimpse into the heart of mystic traditions and the challenges that all souls must face on the road to inner harmony and a union with the Divine. Through near-death encounters, apprenticeships with advanced yogis, and years of travel along the pilgrim’s path, Radhanath Swami eventually reaches the inner sanctum of India’s mystic culture and finds the love he has been seeking. It is a tale told with rare candor, immersing the reader in a journey that is at once engaging, humorous, and heartwarming.
I hope you enjoy these books as much as I do. Wishing you a fun Halloween!
Lots of love,